Spoonflower -- Buy Original Designed Fabric

Wednesday, October 3, 2018

"Liberal" vs. "Leftist"

ב"ה

A long time friend of mine put up a post that stated:

"How Liberals Are Destroying America:

  • Believing in Science
  • Allowing people to marry who they want
  • Don't want to kick out hardworking immigrants
  • Let women control their own bodies
  • Want to prevent mass shootings
  • Don't want people to die because they can't afford health care


It's not Liberals who are a problem -- it's "Leftists" -- the people who, like Mr. Cuomo Jr (unlike Mr. Cuomo Sr.) who think this was never a great country, that no one is permitted a dissenting opinion and, oh, yeah, Israel has no right to exist. Underline that last one. That's my biggest pet peeve with them. Trying to hide their Antisemitism by couching it in "Israel is an Imperialist Apartheid Country" c**p. I'm seeing far too much eclipsing of freedom of speech, far too much US and Israel bashing, far too many things that remind me of Soviet policies in the 60s. 

I agree with all the stuff listed, but I also believe in G-d (and hate it when smug anti-religious scientists act as though believing in G-d is somehow evil, a throwback, primitive, etc. particularly since they know nothing about the Tora) 

I also believe that we need to accept refugees (and migrant workers) but be careful not to let in terrorists (like the European countries did, leading to their current desperate situation).


I believe that gays should be allowed to marry civilly but religions should have the right to not marry them in a religious ceremony (for example, if a Jewish gay couple wants a religious ceremony, Orthodox Rabbis should have the right to turn them away).

I also think we should let women make a choice about their own bodies (as in all choices are "on the board" -- as in, let the woman know she can get help if she wants to keep and raise the child, that she can put the baby up for adoption OR she can terminate the pregnancy -- I don't have the Catholic issue with abortion because, as a Jew, I believe the soul doesn't enter the body until AFTER birth -- but I don't get how people can say they are pro-choice if they don't give women a choice).

I want to prevent mass shootings but I also have seen in history how tyrants take away guns from citizens so they can figuratively bulldoze them without opposition, so I think there should be weapons around (the "bad guys" will have them anyway) but we need to be careful who we allow to have them (we should license them
 -- like driver's licenses and make sure owners know how to use them properly and how to keep them from children, etc.....) 

I believe we should all have healthcare but I also believe that insurance should cover alternative care (like acupuncture, like nutrition, like supplements, etc. There is so much out there, but rather than having it paid for, I have to pay out of pocket for my acupuncture and supplements but if I had a bariatric surgery and/or took metformin Medicare would pay for it). 


So, yes I agree with your list, but with major reservations.

No comments: